My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Australia

I am the youngest of my family. I was adopted by my Mum and Dad who I love very much (even though I bite them). I like to do nothing and everything (all at once). I have Cat-itude and I wanted this blog to tell you all what I think about everything. So listen up.

Saturday, May 26, 2007

I'm a very smart kitty

We all know kitties are pretty smart. In fact, I have heard it said we are the smartest lifeform on this planet (I mean, check out the lives we lead!).

Well Mum and Dad say I am too smart for my own good. The other day Dad was really tired as he got in at 5am and when Mum went to work she didn't wake him so he could get a little more sleep. She tried calling him a little later to wake him and was perplexed when the phone answered but he didn't say anything. She said all she could hear was bits of like a static noise and like a morse code type of scratching.

She called out - nobody answered. She said "Hello?" a gazillion times and there was no response - and then it dawned on her - and she said "Oscar? is that you? Did you answer the phone?" but there was no response from me either, just more static noises and morse code scratching.

After about 20 minutes Mum hanged up but then of course, couldn't dial back. Knowing Dad would be late opening the shop, and a little worried something was wrong at home and the morse code type of scratching really had been morse code, Mum drove all the way home to check.

When she got home she found Dad fast asleep with the phone in it's cradle beside him. When she went into the lounge room she saw the phone on the ground and Me (Oscar) sitting beside it, pawing it with my paw and giving it headbutts, wondering why Mum's voice wasn't coming out of it anymore. I had answered the phone!

Daddy had a chat to me when he got up - he explained that nobody can see me headbutting the phone and giving love. He said I have to say something - that I need to meow or something so people can hear me. What did he think the morse code tapping was for? Didn't anyone do morse code in school these days?

Anyway, I have forgiven them for being so ungrateful that I was helping out by answering the phone, and later Daddy and I had a look-alike face pulling game. Mum took a picture to show you:
OMG do I look fat in that picture or what? Maybe it is just because Daddy shaved off his beard.

Everyone in the family is doing well. Mummy says the baby is doing great and kicking heaps. I know it is kicking cause it scares the living daylights out of me when I try to sit on Mum's lap and get punched by her tummy. She is 26 weeks now and says she loves every second. Me - I just think things are going to get noisy around here soon.

p.s. Molly is doing brilliantly - she has even started playing with me. She has put on weight and is very cuddly and she couldn't care less about going outside now.

p.s.s. Mum and Dad were considering a third cat! Friends have what mum calls "dice kitten" - two kittens needing homes that are so cute Mum said she fell in love with them both. They are both pure white and one has one spot on his forehead and the other has two spots on his forehead. (hence dice kitties). I think Dad has talked her out of it - with the baby coming soon he thinks we have enough to worry about.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Just Ducky said...

Hi Oscar you were very smart to answer the phone. I don't try to do that when the phone rings, either mum gets it or the machine gets it.

Glad Molly is doing well after adventure and so happy to hear that your mum is doing well too with the little one on the way.

12:34 pm  
Blogger Tiger Lily said...

Wow you ARE smart! I'd love to try that but Mom and my Daddy don't have a home phone so I can't.

It was very nice of you to let your Dad sleep in even longer. Did he feel better after?

10:05 am  
Blogger snowforest said...

smart cat. come visit my new blog about cats at:
http://ailurophiles.blogspot.com/
added ur link there. check it out!
would appreciate if u reciprocate :)
thanx

12:38 pm  
Blogger Bad Kitty Cats & Megan said...

Oh Oscar you are very gorgeous.... what a fine picture of you! New Kittens? Awwww... well Babies like kittens right?

Purrs

12:40 pm  
Blogger Fat Eric said...

You answered the phone, how clever are you??? Your humans must be so proud. I talk down the phone to my grandma sometimes and lick it and headbutt it when my mum is talking on it, but I haven't tried using it all by myself yet...maybe I should!

10:32 am  
Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

good job Oscar!!! I loves to answer the phone too!

we is glad that your mommy and the blurpy fing are doing well and that Molly is doing well too!

1:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're very impressed that you answered the phone. we're too scared of the awful ringing noise to go near the thing.
your Dad is right about not getting a third cat. those kittens are a matched set and you should have BOTH of them. four cats is an excellent number.

8:55 am  
Blogger The Fluffy Tribe said...

you look a lot like yer Dad Oscar. So we think you should answer the phone and then hang it back up ~the fluffy tribe

1:26 pm  
Blogger feralone said...

Oscar you are a striking orange bit of sunshine (ok, bit might be stretching it a little) But you are gorgeous! Would you like more toys for your kitty arsenal? www.felinexpress.com is holding a contest for bloggers who love cats. Maybe you can get your Dad and Mum to enter. Probably though, we would have to send you toys without kitty crack in them. Last time I sent Kitty Crack to Australia, I got a really mean letter from customs. But if you win, we could figure out something!

6:44 am  
Blogger jenianddean said...

I have never answered the phone, but I do like to put the toothy death to the power cords to the phones. I think you are very clever to answer the phone. I hope you get the dice kittens!! And tell your mom and dad congrats on the tiny sticky person! I know you will be a good furry brother as you are to Molly.

-Jasper McKitten-Cat

2:12 am  
Blogger Fat Eric said...

How's it going Oscar? Hope everything is still OK with you and your humans.

8:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home